Term 1 Inquiry Progress

What have I tried?

In order to find a solution for my inquiry, I needed to fully understand what the strategies each consisted of and how I could approach these strategies effectively. In a professional development earlier in the year, my team discussed teaching effective guided reading lessons. We found that our children were struggling to learn more in reading because they were struggling to understand what they were reading. In order for the children to learn these needed strategies to progress in reading, the planning and approaches had to be well thought out. After reading through the article ‘Improving Reading Skills Through Effective Reading Strategies’, I got a better understanding of what effective teaching on the teachers part can do, and what the children can be learning and/or practicing. I am currently using this information to look at the way that I am teaching students the different strategies. I have tried to use shared documents where all children are able to share and discuss their ideas, as well as individual tasks that children do to show me what they have learnt.















Where to next?

The article suggests that a lot of what the learners know and will be willing to do can be affected by their attitude. If I choose follow-up activities and tasks that are fun for my class, they will feel connected in the lesson. I will talk to my co-workers about different types of follow-up tasks that their children found engaging and interactive and try to adopt them in my classroom.

Comments

Popular Posts