Digital Fluency Intensive Day 1

What did I learn that increased my understanding of Manaiakalani kaupapa and pedagogy?

I understood that Manaiakalani was built around motivating learners to engage with the learning and curriculum using suitable strategies that match the time and context of society, working with students to share their learning with an audience, empowering student voice and raising student achievement. I also understand and agree whole-heartedly that the teacher is still an important piece of the learn, create, share process, as well as learner input. I definitely was able to increase my understanding on what Manaiakalani is all about.

What did I learn that could improve my confidence, capability or workflow as a professional?

Today I learned how to use different shortcuts  and tools that would make my Google experience easier. I didn't realise that Google offered so many different tools that could be easily accessed and we had a run down on what would make it easier for facilitators and learners. I learnt about the different extensions that could help make things easier, such as Kaizena (recording audio comments to documents), Draft Back (allows me to see work done by learners in a collaborative context), Change case (upper and lower case letters). I find that learning all of these new things will help me become better organised and more fluent for when I am teaching and introducing new things to my learners.

What did I learn that could be used with my learners?  

I can share voice typing with my learners. This would be a good tool to share with them as it would help look at the pronunciation of their words, as well as getting their content down. I will also be able to share the extension, Word Cloud Generator, with them to give my learners an option of appealing brainstorms or mind maps.

What did I learn that could improve my confidence, capability or workflow in my personal life?

As we were going through the different extensions and tools the Google has to offer, I understood that when I come across new things, I need to take a look and train myself to find ways to make it easier. When I am introduced to new things, I usually tend to stick to basics but I know now to inquire and take steps to become more confident.



This is an informative poster I made on Google Documents to show a shortcut that I learnt at the Digital Fluency Intensive P.D. Google Documents can be used to create a poster, we do not always have to use a Google Drawing or Google Presentation. I can use this as a task for my learners to see what they know and different ways they would attack Google Documents format.


Comments

Popular Posts