Digital Fluency Intensive Day 7

What did I learn that increased my understanding of Manaiakalani kaupapa and pedagogy?


Empowerment.

- Technology is not just a tool. It has to transform our learners lives
- Rangatiratanga: taking back control of their own lives
- 5+ a day in conversations. Let children have conversations that are full of information and vocabulary. Giving them rich opportunities that they don't often get in life.
- Visible teaching. Handing the power back to children.
- Access to resources

What did I learn that could improve my confidence, capability or workflow as a professional?



The children in my class did Scratch as a project last term. It would have been perfect if I got to learn the Digital Technology framework and curriculum, as well as a better understanding of how to use Scratch before giving this out as a project last term. I did learn that it pays well to even find your own crash courses where you learn yourself (e.g. Scratch for Dummies 101) so that you have an understanding.

It was also interesting to see the different progress outcomes and what our learners could be focussing on in certain ages. We are using technologies that already exist to share our learning. As learners and facilitators, we have the ability to communicate and construct and express while using technology as a driver. The means we are able to creating something with technology. Digital fluency means that you can use technology. Digital technology means using technology to fix a problem

What did I learn that could be used with my learners?  

I learnt how to use Scratch. The children in my class enjoy making Scratch projects so now that I have a better understanding, I will be more helpful when children are stuck or have questions about how to do things. I also found that children can go around looking at the different options on Scratch to make their projects more suited to them.

I also learnt about a binary system, which is how numbers are used online. I could use this as a Maths activity in my classroom and see what different strategies my class uses to find the code for binary numbers. I could also use this worksheet to help them better understand the digital world.



What did I learn that could improve my confidence, capability or workflow in my personal life?

Getting to know things that can help my professional workload can also help my personal life when learning how to use technology fluently. Something as different as learning the binary number system can be something fun, and also was something I hadn't heard of before. I knew that the system played a big art in technology and learning about it was a fun way to become more digitally fluent.

Comments

Popular Posts