Digital Fluency Intensive Day 8

What did I learn that increased my understanding of Manaiakalani kaupapa and pedagogy?

Cybersmart.

- Promoting the positive
- What we want our kids to do online rather than what we don’t want them to do
- Are you being a smart learner?
- Are you making smart decisions when using your device?
- Are you making smart relationships?
- Teaching children to be smart about the internet
- Empowering our learners as connected and confident decision makers
- Being internet awesome and being proactive
- Over time the cybersmart categories have grown
- Cybersmart is a whole school focus is vital
- Collaborative planning
- How can we equip our learners to be a positive contributor to the community?
- Anything we share online may be personal, but it is always visible!

What did I learn that could improve my confidence, capability or workflow as a professional?

In this session, we were given time to learn to use devices that a student would typically use during class settings. I was able to appreciate this time because it helped me see that sometimes these devices can be quite difficult to use. I have had to teach myself how to use Apple products since I have become a teacher, and I must say it was a lot of hard work. I personally own a Samsung phone, so even using iPads was a struggle for me.

Seeing that I took time to learn how to use different devices and learning the different tips and tricks on them gave me an understanding on the capabilities of my learners. I see them using these devices fluently everyday and it's amazing how much they know. 

I will take time to look at sitting down with my class looking at the different tips and tricks, ensuring that using a Chromebook or iPad is something that can be done and isn't getting in the way of my learners learning.

What did I learn that could be used with my learners?  

 In my class, I have a couple of learners that would better benefit from using 1:1 iPads and using Explain Everything. We were able to have a session today where the app was explained to us and we were given time to have a play around on them. I could definitely use it for my learners and we could learn how to use it off each other.

I also need to remember for both my learners and myself about how similar the Kawa of Care is between iPads and Chromebooks.

I also got to learn how to use Screencastify properly. I was able to use it on a Chromebook which enabled me to see what it is like to do work as a learner in my class. I will definitely use this in my follow-up activities.

What did I learn that could improve my confidence, capability or workflow in my personal life?

Using different devices and being open to learning to use them can be helpful in my personal life. There might be a time I have to use a device that is unknown to me and I have to learn to make do with what I have.

Also, I need to make sure that not only am I promoting being a smart learner online, but I am being cautious of what I am doing online myself. 

Comments

Popular Posts