Rarotonga: Pecha Kucha Presentation Night

Our MIT 2021 Cohort went over to Rarotonga to actually present our challenges with the teachers on the island. We presented using the "Pecha Kucha" style. Never done it before, so it was a bit nerve-wracking going in to it. A Pecha Kucha is a storytelling format where a presenter shows 20 slides for 20 seconds of commentary each. The slide automatically switches over, it doesn't wait for you to finish your speech.

In order to prepare for our presentations, we needed to prepare a Slide Deck. We needed to make sure it introduced a challenge that our learners were facing, how we knew it was a challenge, what I have done in the classroom to help/fix it, how digital technology has supported us as teachers and our learners, and what our next steps are. 

I was super nervous. I had practiced so many times leading up to the trip and during my down-time in Rarotonga. Channeling my inner teacher personality, I managed to get through the Pecha Kucha. It was an awesome learning experience, especially for the Wananga that will be in late October. I know that I need to have more confidence in myself when speaking to big crowds, smile more, and take my time when speaking. I will be making sure that I am focusing on the next steps that I showed on my slides in the classroom to show any progress I have been making with my learners.



Comments

Popular Posts