Reading Practise Intensive Day 7: Thinking
Today was another great day of learning. We looked at Critical Thinking, and after getting through the learning from today, it made me reflect about what I have been doing in class.
Some takeaways I will definitely be using is having images and videos as a "text" for my learners. I sometimes forget SISOMO - sight, sound and motion. I know that when I watch videos and see images, I can give my opinion about what I think it means. And if I can do it, I can try my best to teach my learners how to do it. Especially because there are so many resources out there. There are also many Response to Texts and Follow Up ideas within Manaiakalani, so I need to make sure I explore and use them rather than reinvent the wheel. Especially when I can give my learners more thinking opportunities to be interpretive and evaluative.
Provocations is another one I need to remember to use. I have taught groups in my class the "group talk moves", but I haven't pushed to use them often enough. Jessica Gavin (in my RPI Breakout Group 1) spoke about how she used provocations as a question rather than a statement, which is what I do. She brought up how she wants to use more statements that allow debates within the group, which is something I also want (and need) to do.
During my guided reading lessons, an idea that was spoken about was highlighting ideas in different colours, and then collating them into a table where it shows my learners analysing and synthesising their texts. That is something I am definitely going to be implementing in my class. I'll also be using the RPI slides as posters to have in my classroom as visual reminders for my learners.



Kia ora Sarah,
ReplyDeleteWhat a great reflection. You've analysed your practice and identified next steps in so many different areas. Forgetting visual and aural types of text is so easy to do, and I love your attitude that if you can do something yourself (eg make meaning from visual texts), you can teach your learners to do it too. Switching the phrasing of a provocation from a question to a statement is such a small thing that can have a big impact on getting some really robust (or heated!) discussion going. There's no way of taking the easy way out and just agreeing with the question... I look forward to hearing about any changes this made to the way your learners approached discussion.