Reading Practise Intensive Day 9: Sharing
Today was our last day for RPI 2026. Bittersweet in a way because I enjoyed learning (and remembering) all of this valuable information, but I do get to go back to my class and implement these skills and knowledge.
I have so much more confidence in myself when it comes to teaching Reading in my classroom. Reading is so complex, but I feel more reassured that I am on the right track and can give my learners the best that I can.
My biggest takeaways will definitely be Vocabulary. It is something that I have been doing in my classroom since 2020. But after being in RPI, I realise I haven't been doing as much as I can do to extend my learners. Something as simple as suffixes and prefixes have given my learners so much enjoyment now that I have made it a weekly constant. They are taking more ownership and autonomy of their learning in vocabulary, and I know it is because of the scaffolds I have given them since being in RPI.
Something else that is so valuable are provocations. They pulled so much out of my learners, and taught them to be more receptive of others thinking. They have been learning over time that they can change their thinking based on what others say, and really thought about what evidence or examples they can use to back up their thinking. I will definitely be thinking about provocation vs. questioning, which I will continue to implement in my classroom. ESPECIALLY, most especially group talk rules.
I have so many things that I will continue to share on my blog, my class site and by mouth to other teachers in not only my school, but my wider community. The information we get from RPI is so valuable, I believe every teacher should have the same opportunity to be a part of this programme. It will also remind me to comment more on my learners, and my colleagues sharing platforms.
Thank you Manaiakalani. Thank you Kiri, Jess, Amie, Georgie and Dorothy. What an opportunity, and what an experience!


Comments
Post a Comment